JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice.
New York, NY
Research and Policy Manager
New York, NY
New York, NY
Senior Product Designer
New York, NY
New York, NY
Don't see your job? We still want to hear from you!
New York, NY
CREATING HEALTHY HOUSING FOR ALL🏡
Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
OUR VALUES 👨👩👧👦
1. We center tenants and communities
We design tools in partnership with renters and housing advocates, to prioritize the needs of those most disenfranchised by systemic oppression. We strive to foster trust among the communities we serve by building tools and products that support organizing and housing justice movements.
2. We value the whole human
We prioritize understanding, patience, and empathy both internally and externally. With the goal of building accessible and inclusive products, we foster relationships between our staff and the housing justice community. While we remain dedicated to responding to the urgent needs of renters, we prioritize our employee’s well-being above quick execution.
3. We use technology as a tool to further housing justice; not as a solution
We design our tools as means to build tenant power and not as solutions to the housing crisis. We build our products to resist oppressive systems and harness the power of collective action.
4. We commit to accountability and transparency
We hold ourselves accountable by sharing our work and decision-making processes with our users and partners. While protecting our user’s confidentiality, our values, methodologies, approach to data, and source code is visible and open to the public for critique.
5. We are adaptive and self-reflective
We are not stuck in our ways. When presented with an opportunity for our tools to create greater impact, we rise to the challenge.
Diversity simply means “difference.” At JustFix, we do not use the word “diversity” as a euphemism for hiring those who come from historically (and currently) oppressed groups.
Most importantly, we seek to hire those with lived experiences from the communities we serve, first or second-generation immigrants who grew up in rent-regulated or public housing. Black and Hispanic New Yorkers are overrepresented in rental units with maintenance issues in NYC. Twenty-five percent of Black NYC renters and 23% of Hispanic NYC renters live in units with 3 or more maintenance deficiencies, as compared to 18% of renters Citywide. Only 9% of white renters in NYC live in units with 3 or more maintenance deficiencies. In order to better serve our users, we place an emphasis on recruiting from the populations we serve.
At JustFix, we continuously work to ensure that our approach and products are in alignment with, and in support of, the tenants who know best what their communities need. Internally, we build an anti-oppressive framework into everything that we do. We seek to defy the start-up/tech stereotypes both internally and externally. We prioritize and respect our staff’s work-life balance. Likewise, externally, we move at the speed of trust. This means we build trusting and communicative relationships with community partners and, with their input, build and iterate products that meet their evolving needs.
Whereas “equality” ensures all people receive the same treatment, “equity” means ensuring equal outcomes. Our flexible work schedule, generous PTO, and constantly evolving benefits packages are designed to meet the needs of not just the dominant culture but those experiencing additional barriers to success. JustFix eagerly accommodates caretaking schedules, adapts to feedback with respect to healthcare and other benefits, dedicates resources to professionally facilitated anti-oppression training, and engages actively with individual staff members to ensure each person is set up for success. When we see a staff member struggle, our first question is always: “how can we help? How can we better accommodate you?”
Anti-oppression work starts with hiring and recruiting. JustFix’s comprehensive anti-oppressive hiring guide ensures that JustFix’s team reflects our mission and anti-oppression principles. For each hire, we assemble a hiring committee to perform the initial applicant screen. As a hiring committee, we use a consensus-based process, keeping in mind that even if all members do not agree, all voices should be heard.This hiring committee is responsible for:
✨ A detailed description of the duties of the position, along with JustFix’s equal opportunity statement.
✨ A detailed list of requirements for the position. This list should include only factors relevant to each candidate’s competence to perform the duties required by the position. The purpose of creating the lists of duties and requirements is to ensure that all candidates are evaluated on the basis of experiences and characteristics that are directly relevant to the position and to limit the influence of “fit,” personality traits, or “soft” characteristics that are highly subjective and unrelated to a candidate’s ability to perform the job duties.
✨ A comprehensive recruitment plan, specifically tailored to the role, that goes beyond traditional job boards
SAFETY PRACTICES AMONGST OUR TEAM 🦸🏾♀️🦸🏻♂️
As a small team, we are highly collaborative and do not work in silos. We encourage organic conversation and bring in experts to help us when our communication breaks down. Here are several tools we use:
Hiring outside anti-oppression and anti-racism trainers to facilitate difficult conversations.
- Making space for less formal discussions and training on topics of importance, including language access, disability rights, racial justice, etc.
- 360 reviews to ensure that staff has the opportunity to provide feedback about their supervisors and managers in a safe and confidential manner.
- Structured onboarding and early opportunities to meet with the Director of Operations and People to troubleshoot tough relationships (either laterally or with leadership).
- Regular meetings with the Director of People Operations (who has no direct supervisees) to ensure the staff member feels good about their experience with their colleagues and supervisor.
- Meeting work-from-home supply needs to ensure all staff has a comfortable work environment (while staff remains remote due to COVID-19).
- Multiple organizational platforms that meet different learning needs (e.g. Notion, Clubhouse/Shortcut, Airtable, Google Docs, etc)
LEADERSHIP TENDS TO OUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS🗣👂🏽
The last year and a half have proved an extraordinarily difficult time for our staff. During the COVID-19 pandemic, for everyone’s safety, our staff has remained entirely remote, leaving some feeling isolated. Further, world events--Black Lives Matter protests in response to the murder of Black people by the police, hate crimes against Asian Americans, the January 6th riots, and the surge of the Delta variant--have caused varied reactions.
Some staff feels an urgency to talk about world events in the office whereas others wish to refocus on work. Still, others need time off to protest and mourn. By making space for all reactions and granting generous leave requests, JustFix endeavors to respect the individual needs of each staff member as they navigate the challenges of our current world. Even while we remain remote, JustFix has tried to arrange outside social events for those that feel comfortable. These events help build trust and reconnect us.
By performing regular 360 performance reviews, offering generous benefits, and making our reasonable accommodation policies clear and easy to navigate, JustFix aims to create a safe and happy workplace for all.
OUR COMMITMENTS IN & OUTSIDE OF WORK🔐
Education: We will work with outside experts to incorporate anti-racist literature, education, and training into our onboarding and ongoing professional development. We create an ongoing space for dialogue on racial justice issues.
Externally: We openly advocate for policies that undermine systems of oppression, particularly in housing. We commit to publicly supporting policies that would specifically upend racist structures and the economic violence of racism.
Donate to organizations combating police violence. We have committed $4,000 to organizations that focus on advocacy and activism related to combating police violence. As we grow, so will our annualized contributions.
Internally: As discussed above:
1-1 meetings between supervisors and staff;
Structured onboarding and early opportunities to meet with the Director of Operations and People to troubleshoot tough relationships (either laterally or with leadership);
Consensus-style discussion and decision-making processes that not only value all voices but REQUIRE all voices to be heard before any decision is rendered.
Step 1: Application Review
Step 2: Phone screen with Director of People Operations
Step 3: 30-minute Zoom Hiring Committee Video Interview
Step 4: Request for exercise(s) completion and 3 References
Step 5: 30-minute Zoom Org Video Interview
Step 6: Offer💰
- 100% of medical, vision and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year)
- 16 weeks paid Parental Leave
- Generous Paid Time Off. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities: Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we co-create and iterate our tools. and
- Resourced learning opportunities: We invest in each staff member’s ongoing professional development with a generous and flexible yearly professional development budget.
- Personalized technology setup: We pay, you own! Staff chooses the kind of computer and/or accessories they want to purchase. JustFix heavily subsidizes staff purchases but staff remains the owner of all equipment even after they leave JustFix.
- Small and collaborative work culture: As a small team from a variety of organizational and cultural backgrounds (including organizers, lawyers, policy specialists, engineers, and designers), we work together closely and emphasize learning from one another. We take time to formally engage in “skill shares” so engineers understand housing policy and policy experts understand engineering!