Gruntwork is focused on improving humanity's most important invention: Software. Our product enables teams to launch and maintain production-grade cloud infrastructure – all backed by infrastructure as code they control – in days, not months.
WE SAVE SOFTWARE TEAMS TIME BY DOING THE GRUNTWORK👷🏽♀️🛠
We enable software teams to launch production-grade infrastructure in AWS 10x faster.
We do that by offering DevOps "building blocks" through our library of commercially supported, production-grade Terraform modules, and a "Reference Architecture" product where we generate a customized end-to-end, Terraform-based multi-account AWS architecture for a customer in just a few hours using a collection of internal Golang tooling.
Now we're ready to take those experiences to the next level through a new CLI-first DevOps platform that developers can use to manage the infrastructure as code lifecycle on a daily basis.
1. What you did (impact): What impact did you have on the company? How much did you move the needle?
2. How you did it (values): It's critical that you not only do good work, but that you do it the right way.
These are the things we look for when doing performance reviews and when hiring. We have just 3 top-level values:
1. Think like an owner.
2. Communicate effectively.
3. Be a good person.
There's a wealth of details behind each of these that we'd love to explain to you live. You can also request a full copy of our values if you'd like.
HOW WE PRACTICE DE&I 👷🏻👷🏻♂️👷🏿♀️
We've seen firsthand the value that a diverse team brings, which is a range of perspectives, and a wellspring of empathy.
As a developer tooling company, we are necessarily multi-disciplinary, and we draw on insights and lessons learned from a wide range of domains. Almost everyone on our team has programming experience, but we also incorporate UX principles, operating principles, moral philosophy, and more to our every day work. The richer a pool of experiences we can draw from, the better the solutions we will come up with.
Secondly, a diverse team is a constant reminder that any one person's perception of the world is an incomplete view. That helps foster a sense of empathy and humility when it comes to thinking about how we can serve our diverse range of developer customers.
For us, equity means that everyone has equal access to opportunity at Gruntwork.
This ethos is core to how we run the company, and we reflect this in a number of areas, including:
- Formulaic salaries. We compute all salaries using formulas that factor in your level and role. Our salaries are location independent.
- Formulaic equity awards. We compute all equity awards using formulas that factor in your level, role, and possibly recent promotion.
- Formulaic profit sharing. We set aside a chunk of money each year to pay as a profit share to all Grunts, with distributions computed formulaically based on your level and tenure with the company.
- We explicitly encourage our colleagues to speak out whenever they sense the company could do better, either in how we run the company, or how we handle a given situation.
- We require that every single role we hire have at least one member from an underrepresented demographic in the final running, but we always select the best candidate. This gives us a chance to build a diverse team, but no one is here specifically because of their demographic.
Inclusivity means that everyone feels welcome at all company gatherings, both large and small. Inclusivity is a core part of our ethos, and we reflect this in a number of areas, including:
- We ask each Grunt to author a "personal README" so that others can better understand how best to interact with them.
We practice safety by...
- We have a culture of focusing on "making life/work wonderful," not on "who's right" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-129JLTjkQ). This is a tenant of non-violent communication, a lousy name for an amazing philosophy of how to interact with other humans that we aim to imbue throughout the company.
- We require that every single role we hire have at least one member from an underrepresented demographic in the final running, but we always select the best candidate.
WE CARE FOR OUR TEAM MEMBERS BY...🤝
- "Life first, then work." We believe in planning our work around our lives, not the other way around. To help achieve that we offer:
- Remote work that lets you control your hours and physical location.
Normal working hours that usually amount to not more than ~40h per week, and no working on weekends or holidays.
- Intentional project planning that takes into account the time zone of all team members.
- A minimum vacation policy where you must take at least 4 weeks per year away from work.
- No one carrying a pager and no on-call rotation. We enable this by only offering support contracts with SLAs of responses on business days / hours only.
We aim to make Gruntwork a diverse, welcoming, and productive company. Most of all, we genuinely care about the issues surrounding lack of representation within the larger tech industry. Talent is equally distributed, but opportunity is not.
Those of us who have had disproportionate access to opportunity have a responsibility to improve that in whatever way we can.
1. If your application is promising, we schedule a round 1 interview.
2. If we both found the round 1 interview is promising, we schedule a few round 2 interviews (generally 2 - 3, each 30 - 45 mins)
3. If that goes well, we set up a 1-day, paid trial project where we try out working together for a day. We select a mini-project that closely approximates what you would actually work on, and we both get to see how we like it.
4. If we both wish to work together, we present an offer.
5. Prior to officially confirming the offer, we do 2 reference checks and a background check.
6. You're hired!
Note that you don't have to wait until step 6 to get a sense of our offer. Gruntwork uses formulaic salaries, so we can tell you upfront what your salary package would be for a given level and role.
- Location Independent, Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and uses a multiplier to produce a result that's above market for that title. Our salaries are location independent.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Hardware Budget. We'll buy you a brand new 16" Apple MacBook Pro (or other computer of your choosing of equivalent value) upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We'll give you a personal budget of $1,000 USD per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company. For countries other than the US, this includes extra coverage on top of your statutory insurance.
- In addition to the global benefits listed above, we have some US-specific benefits as well:
- FSA and HSAs. We don't contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute a portion of your salary to your 401(k).
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.